“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
--- Douglas Adams

Friday, September 11, 2020

On Food Security

Farmers Markets in Coachella Valley California 
When Pua was about 3 years old I was fresh from filing for divorce and in its initial aftermath of all that horrible-ness, I lost my job and subsequently, spent FOR FREAKING EVER trying to find a new job over the next two years. Every Friday we would go to the playground. There was a pop-up food bank. While Pua insisted on climbing the structures way higher than she was able to get down from on her own, I would watch the food distribution line that was happening across the quad. There was a pop up tent, a few bags on tables, and a lady with a clip board. The people in line were mostly seniors. I never took advantage of this food bank. I thought that although the free fruits and vegetables wouldn't go uneaten or unappreciated in my home, there were certainly people who needed it more than I did.  I felt a bit weird about it. Shortly thereafter, I did find it hard to provide for my family and I did find it hard to feed them. I realized that although there were people worse off than me, I needed help with securing food. I started going to food banks and I got myself a SNAP card. Let me tell you, that was the very best decision to make for my kids and me. With all the worries I was facing, having food for my kids was a worry I no longer hand to endure. Food Stamps and Food Pantries saved me.

Of course I found myself back on my feet, full time job and all, and I stopped going to the food pantry and when it came time to reapply for SNAP, I let my enrollment lapse. I no longer needed food stamps to feed my kids.

Fast forward a few years later to today, I find myself again without a job, this time during a pandemic. I find myself once again on unemployment and using EBT.  (and to top it off, I'm also on MediCal) I visit the SF/Marin Food Bank pick up site near me once a week and I pick up school lunches for the week from SFUSD. More than a few times I got a food bag from a friend of mine. (Another post for another time about how this friend showed my kids and me immeasurable kindness. She truly was/is an angel.) I have to say that as much as I'd rather be working and paying my own way, I'm not at all ashamed for using these valuable resources. It's not wrong to accept help when offered. It's not wrong to ask for help when needed. Unemployment in no way covers anyone's average living expenses. In providing a resource for food, EBT, the food bank, a friend's kindness all fill a needed gap and keep at least one worry at bay. 

The point I'm trying to make is that regular hard working people fall on irregular hard times. It's OK and there is no shame in accepting help, be it from the government or your friends. 
There is help out there. 
Take it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha.
Thanks for reading . . . . thanks for commenting.

Welcome now my friends to the show that never ends

Related Posts with Thumbnails

StatCounter

Nice Pictures - Where'd you steal them from?

Some of the pictures in my blog were taken by a photographer called Julie Michele. Some of the pictures were either taken by me or someone I know. Some of the pictures were ripped right from the internet, mostly from google image searches from photographers to whom I may or may not give credit.

Rest assured I make no money from any of it.