“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
--- Douglas Adams

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Me Time

Last night was one of those nights where a switch flicked in my head and with that flick I came to the conclusion that I needed to get the H E Double Hockey Sticks out of the house for just a little while. I love my kiddies more than anything but sometimes I just want to get away for an hour where I can be a person, an individual, a woman, and not necessarily a mom.

I put the smallest one to bed, got the middle one ready for bed and asked the oldest one to very sweetly watch over her sibling, telling her I'd be back in a little over an hour.

I threw on a bit of mascara, put on some shoes and headed out the door. I ended up at my local watering hole. I sat at the bar. I ordered a beer and watched the band set up. I saw a dad from my kid's school. I gave him a head nod; a nonverbal "'sup." He replied in kind before joining his friends.

A few minutes later some guy came up to me and asked me if I came there tonight to see the band that was setting up. I told him no, but the drummer was taking a long time to set up. Who did he think he was? Neil Peart? The guy laughed so hard he bought me a beer. He told me he just moved to SF. We talked about the Sunset a bit. He told me he surfed and we talked about Kelly Slater and 2011 Rip Curl event that we both went to. I totally held my own. I don't know how I did it but I totally pulled off talking to a surfer talk about surfing, or maybe I didn't and he was just humoring me.

I ended up talking to him, plus two of his friends he came with; two girls. I think one of them was his girlfriend (oh well, can't win 'em all).

For a night where the only conversation I thought I was going to have started with "What'll it be?" and ending with "IPA, please," I had a fun night.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha.
Thanks for reading . . . . thanks for commenting.

Welcome now my friends to the show that never ends

Related Posts with Thumbnails

StatCounter

Nice Pictures - Where'd you steal them from?

Some of the pictures in my blog were taken by a photographer called Julie Michele. Some of the pictures were either taken by me or someone I know. Some of the pictures were ripped right from the internet, mostly from google image searches from photographers to whom I may or may not give credit.

Rest assured I make no money from any of it.